Our Story

Our Denomination
Some people call the Evangelical Free Church the “non-denominational” denomination. It is truly more of an association of churches than a denomination. Each local church is independent in a sense because the national or state headquarters do not govern the local churches, but provide support.
 
The Evangelical Free Church of America is an association of some 1,300 autonomous churches united by a mutual commitment to serve our Lord Jesus Christ with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and obedience to the Word of God. We are committed to cooperate with one another in ministry and fellowship as we seek to fulfill the Great Commission which Christ has entrusted to His Church. The growing ministry of the EFCA currently extends to some 17 nations of the world, with 1300 additional congregations.
“Evangelical” & “Free”

The term “Evangelical” refers to our commitment to the proclamation of the gospel and to the authority of the Scriptures as being inerrant in the original autographs and the only safe and sufficient guide to faith and practice. The term “Free” refers to our form of church government which assures that our local churches are free from a central controlling body. Evangelical Free Churches depend upon the active participation of pastors and lay people in the decisions and direction of the local church.
History of EFCA

The Evangelical Free Church of America was formed in 1950 by the merger of two church bodies: the Swedish Evangelical Free Church and the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Free Church Association. Both groups were birthed in the revival movements of the late nineteenth century. The Swedish group had its formal beginnings in Boone, Iowa, at a conference held in October of 1884. In that same year, two Norwegian-Danish groups began to worship and fellowship together in Boston, Massachusetts, and Tacoma, Washington. By 1912, both the Swedish Evangelical Free Church and the Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Free Church Association had been formed. Those two associations, representing 275 local congregations, were formally joined together as they gathered for a merger conference in June of 1950 at the Medicine Lake Conference Grounds near Minneapolis, Minnesota. The international and national offices of the EFCA have been located in Minneapolis since that time.